Grand Re-Opening on Saturday, March 7th!
We are celebrating a milestone. After closing for the month of February to complete maintenance and construction the center is hosting a Grand Re-Opening on Saturday, March 7th. from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The staff will be presenting expanded programming, new birds, and opening the newly constructed entrance to the center’s campus directly from U.S. Highway 17N.
Activities that day will include:
- Guided Walking Tours featuring fascinating new birds
- Flight Demonstrations and Vulture Restaurant observation experiences
- Behind-the-scenes tours of the Avian Medical Clinic and Oil-spill Response Facility
- A new Touch Table offering hands-on experience with interesting avian artifacts
- The opportunity to observe as the Education Staff trains a flight team bird
The new entrance is located at 4719 Highway 17N just 15 minutes from the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge to downtown Charleston.
Food and refreshments will be available for purchase and parking is free.
2nd Annual Photography Contest
Through a Bird’s Eye
Submission deadline - January 8
Birds and, birds of prey specifically, rely on their extraordinary vision to aid in foraging, migration, and mate selection. Crows are said to be able to remember individual faces and birds around the world are known to use the same invisible migration flyways. Often their most acute sense, birds can see and perceive things we cannot: color contrasts and differences, ultraviolet light, and who knows what else.
We’re looking for photographs that tell the story of the avian eye or bird’s eye perspective in an artful and unique way.
Who can enter?
All US residents who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry are encouraged to participate; except employeesand Board Members of the ACC/CBP, their immediate families and individuals in the same household as such employeesand Board Members. Photography expertise or experience is not a requirement. The contest is governed by the laws ofthe USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
What do you win?
- A full color 16”x20” rendition of your photograph on canvas
- Recognition and display of your photograph in our tent during the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (February13-15, 2015), an event that attracts over 40,000 wildlife enthusiasts
- Acknowledgement on the ACC/CBP website and in newsletter, which collectively reaches more than 100,000individuals each year
- Visibility on the ACC/CBP Facebook page as our cover page photo for the month of February 2015, reachingmore than 5,600 Facebook users daily
- Complimentary pass to a future Photography Day of the winner’s choosing at the Center for Birds of Prey
- Possible promotional or merchandising opportunities via the Center’s retail activities
What can be entered?
Any digital image that satisfies the contest theme of “Through a Bird’s Eye” as described above and meets the size and file type requirements as detailed below. Photographs must be original and taken by the photographer entering the contest. Please do not enter photographs of pets or domestic animals. Entries are limited to one photograph per person.
By submitting your photograph, you grant the ACC/CBOP use of the submission, including your name and any information provided about the photograph. We reserve the right to modify, reproduce, and distribute the material in any medium and in any manner or appropriate place. Your submission must not infringe on the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
All photos must be submitted via email in .jpg or .gif format and should be at least 2MB in size, but no larger than 25MB. We are not responsible for files that are not readable or that are corrupted or incorrectly submitted. Photos must be received by 4:59pm ET Thursday, January 8, 2015. Photos should be sent to email@example.com. In the event of technical difficulties, the deadline is subject to change without notice.
Photos will be judged by a jury of artists and photographers and the winner will be announced on Thursday, February12, 2015. The winner will be notified by email, regular mail, or telephone within 48 hours of the closing time. Winner will be required to agree to the use of their name, likeness, and photo entry for ACC promotional purposes (except where prohibited by law). Winner may be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, and media use release within 24 hoursof notification or an alternate winner may be chosen by ACC/CBP.
2015 Calendar of Events
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition - February 13 - 15
- New Volunteer Staff Orientation and Injured Bird Transport Workshop - March 1
- International Migratory Bird Day - May 9
- International Vulture Awareness Day - September 5
- Pollinators' Week with the Birds and Bees - June 18 - 20
- Migration to Memminger, Annual Gala - October 15
- Owls in the Moonlight - March 5, July 30, November 5
- Photography Day - March 8, April 19, May 10, November 8, December 13
- Painted Bunting Bird Walk - May 2 and 16, June 6 and 13
- Native Birds of South Carolina Bird Walk - July 11 and 25, August 1 and 15
For more information about any of the above events, please call 843.971.7474. Tickets can be purchase online.