Volunteer Staff Program
Since its beginning, the Avian Conservation Center and The Center for Birds of Prey has relied on Volunteer Staff members to carry out its mission of providing medical treatment for injured birds of prey and shorebirds, presenting educational programs to thousands of people throughout the state, and conducting avian research and field studies that benefit South Carolina and the entire nation.
Whether working with injured wild birds of prey in the Avian Medical Clinic or with resident birds in the Education Department, extensive training and experience are critical to your success. A progressive training program, including educational workshops, hands-on experience and one-on-one mentor shadowing enable Volunteer Staff members to increase their knowledge and expand skills on a continuing basis.
There are many different areas in which you can serve, whether you like to work with the public or prefer to work behind the scenes. You will be able to share your knowledge and enthusiasm with visitors, school groups and community organizations. You will also have the opportunity to participate in continuing education programs about our collection and exhibits. We encourage you to take advantage of every opportunity.
New Volunteer Staff training programs are scheduled on a quarterly basis. Information about upcoming sessions will be posted on this site.
- Orientation Program
- Basic Training
- Minimum of three sessions of one-on-one mentor training
- Minimum of eight hours of volunteer service per month
- Regular attendance at monthly Volunteer Staff meeting
- Regular attendance at Quarterly Volunteer Staff Training
Volunteer Internship Program
The goal of the Center’s Volunteer Internship Program is to provide pre-professional, in-service experiential learning opportunities for students interested in environmental issues and ethics, avian medicine and rehabilitation, and/or avian research.
- Offered to undergraduate and graduate students
- Credit/Non-credit. The Center does not itself award credit for internships; however, we are pleased to work with academic institutions in meeting student needs.
- Areas: Medical/Education/Research/Specific Course of Study
To receive information about becoming a volunteer or applying for an internship, please send your request to email@example.com.